Chekitan S. Dev
- Singapore Tourism Distinguished Professor in Asian Hospitality Management
- Innovation, Entrepreneurship & Technology
- Business of Food
- Online Travel Agents (OTAs)
School of Hotel Administration
Chekitan S. Dev is an award winning professor of marketing (tenured) and professor of management (by courtesy) at Cornell University's SC Johnson College of Business in the School of Hotel Administration. He is internationally recognized for his teaching and course development and has received multiple awards for teaching excellence from undergraduate students, graduate students, and Ernst & Young. In 2019 he received the Overall Winner (Best Case Study) Award from The Case Center at Cranfield University (UK), and a 2019 Trailblazer Award from eCornell.
Professor Dev is a globally renowned thought leader and the leading expert on hospitality branding. His award winning research has appeared in the highest quality publications including the Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, Harvard Business Review, MIT Sloan Management Review and Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, and he is the author of Hospitality Branding (Cornell University Press). His work has been presented at the most prestigious business and hospitality schools including Harvard, Wharton, Chicago, Oxford, ESSEC, Indian Business School, National University of Singapore, Michigan State, Florida International, Denver, and Glion. In 2018 he was a finalist for the 2017 Best Service Research Paper of the Year Award from the American Marketing Association.
Dr. Dev engages frequently with corporate, government, education, advisory, legal, and private equity organizations as an expert witness, consultant, keynote speaker and workshop leader, all over the world. These include Accor France, Bain Spain, Breeden, Crystal Cruises, Deloitte Jordan, Disney, Dolce Canada, Expedia, ExpoGourmand Chile, Four Seasons New York, Four Seasons Mumbai, Fortress, Hilton, Holiday Inn, HOTUSA Spain, Horwath Austria, Hyatt, IBM, Jampro Jamaica, Jones Day, JP Morgan Chase, Jumeirah Dubai, Landor, Leading Hotels, Leela India, Mandarin Singapore, Marriott, McDonald’s, MGM Resorts, NHV Japan, Oberoi India, One&Only UK, Peninsula Hong Kong, Priceline, Ritz Paris, Ritz-Carlton Bali, Ritz-Carlton Destination Clubs, Rosewood, Sands China, Sarovar India, Skadden Arps, Taj India, Tishman, Westin, Whole Foods, Wyndham, YUM Malaysia, Zatisi Czech Republic, and others. In 2010 he was selected as one of the "Top 25 Most Extraordinary Minds in Hospitality, Travel and Tourism Sales and Marketing" by Hospitality Sales and Marketing Association International.
Professor Dev is a sought after commentator on hospitality trends. He has been interviewed by the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Economist, TIME, Newsweek, the Los Angeles Times, BusinessWeek, the International Herald Tribune, People, Indian Express, National Public Radio, NBC Nightly News, and Knowledge@Wharton.
Dr. Dev is a dedicated contributor to his university, profession and local communities. He has served on important governance committees at Cornell including the Faculty Senate, Faculty Advisory Committee on Tenure Appointments, and the Faculty Policy and Admissions Committees of the Hotel School where he chairs tenure, promotion and reappointment committees and industry roundtables. For the academy and hospitality industry, he co-chaired CHRIE’s Strategic Planning Committee, served on the American Hotel and Lodging Association Chairman’s Marketing Task Force, is a peer reviewer for publications and external tenure and promotion cases, and advises hospitality-related startups. His pro bono activities include conducting workshops for non-profit groups including Tompkins Tourism, Finger Lakes Tourism and Entrepreneurship Boot Camp for Veterans.
- Dev, Chekitan. Hospitality Branding. Cornell University Press. (2012): 179 pages
- Tsai, Yi-Lin; Dev, Chekitan; Chintagunta, Pradeep. "What’s in a Brand Name? Assessing the Impact of Rebranding in the Hospitality Industry"Journal of Marketing Research. 52.6 (2015): 865-878
- Hamilton, Rebecca; Rust, Roland; Wedel, Michel; Dev, Chekitan. "Return on Service Amenities"Journal of Marketing Research. 54.1 (2017): 96-110
- Avery, Jill; Dev, Chekitan; Stroock, Laure. "The Marriott-Starwood Merger: Navigating Brand Portfolio Strategy and Brand Architecture"Harvard Business School Case 518-081. (2018)
- Dev, Chekitan. "Prune the Brand Portfolio?"Harvard Business Review. 96.2 (2018): 167-171
Awards and Honors
- Dean's Academic Excellence Award (2016) School of Hotel Administration, Cornell University
- CHR Industry Relevance Award (2016) Cornell University, School of Hotel Administration
- Highly Commended Paper Award (2015) IJCM Editors - Emerald Publishing
- Hospitality Research in Practice Award, Honorable Mention (2010) Cornell Center for Hospitality Research (CCHR)
- Cornell Hospitality Quarterly Best Article Award, Runner Up (2010) Cornell Center for Hospitality Research (CCHR)
- HADM 4480/HADM 6480 - Brand Management
- HADM 2430 - Marketing Management for Services
- HADM 2410 - Marketing Principles
- PhD Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1988
- Master Ecole Superieure des Sciences Economiques et Commerciale (ESSEC Business School), 1985
- Post-Graduate Diploma Oberoi School of Hotel Management, 1981
- BA University of Delhi, 1979