Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Grades

Some courses are offered on a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) basis.

University regulations concerning the S/U system require that a grade of “S” be given for work equivalent to a “C-” or better; for work below that level, a “U” must be given.

“S” and “U” grades are not included in the computation of semester or cumulative averages; however, a course in which a student receives an “S” is counted for credit. No credit is received for a “U.” Both the “S” and “U” grades appear on a student’s record.

Taking courses as S/U is limited to 4 credit hours each semester, not including those offered only as S/U, and may be in only non-career track-courses (MMH) or non-SHA-elective, non-concentration courses (undergraduate). A maximum of 6 credits in total in non-SHA elective may be taken on an S/U basis.

If both letter and S/U grade options are offered for a given class, students must sign up for his or her chosen option during specified pre-enrollment or university add periods. After the university grade-option-change deadline, students with documented extenuating circumstances must petition to request review for a possible change to the initial grade option.

Note: The deadline for changing the grade option is the end of the seventh week of the term.