MMH students are required to take part in an externship during the winter break at Cornell (between the fall and spring semesters). The goal of the externship is to provide students with an opportunity to explore various career paths within their chosen concentration or graduate minor. Externships last a minimum of two weeks and take students inside a hospitality-related organization to experience firsthand how decisions are made and strategies are implemented.
The director of graduate programs in the Office of Student Services can assist students in obtaining externships relevant to particular career interests as can the concentration/minor faculty advisor.
Recent externships have included:
- Revenue management at J.W. Marriott Bangkok, Thailand; Outrigger Enterprise, Hawaii; The Dorchester Collection, London
- Operational role at the Breakers in Palm Beach, Florida; Green House Hospitality Group, Tokyo, Japan
- Marketing at Carnival Cruise Lines, Miami, Florida
- Market surveys at Regatta Travel Solutions, Charlottesville, VA
- Product development at National Restaurant Association, DC
- Asset management at Pan Pacific Hotels Group, Singapore
- Real estate/finance at the Four Seasons Singapore; the Intercontinental Hotels Group in Atlanta, Georgia; and at the Kumsung Baekjoe Company in South Korea