Our SHA faculty-designed curriculum prepares students for careers and leadership through a business management foundation with an emphasis on the service industry. Your SHA experience combines the best of both worlds—a focused core curriculum with the flexibility to combine your interest in hospitality and business management with the breadth of Cornell’s liberal arts curriculum.
SHA's inverted curriculum will have you complete two-thirds of the courses in your major in the first two years. This structure allows you to explore and experience the breadth of hospitality early, to help you determine more quickly where your interests lie. You will have the opportunity to apply the knowledge you learn in the classroom to make your summer internships more relevant as you build your network and explore your career options.
Typical Four-Year Undergraduate Core Template
This is a Sample Core Course schedule.
In addition to the classes listed below, you will take a freshman writing seminar and general electives (non-HADM) classes in the other Cornell colleges.
- Organizational Behavior and Interpersonal Skills
- Microeconomics for the Service Industry
- Managerial Communication I
- Business Computing
- Introduction to Hotel Operations
- Introduction to Food Service Operations
- Financial Accounting
In addition to the classes listed below, you will take general electives (non-HADM) classes in the other Cornell colleges.
- Hospitality Quantitative Analysis
- Human Resources Management
- Managerial Accounting
- Food Service Theory and Practice
- Marketing Management for Services
- Hospitality Development and Planning
In addition to the classes listed below, you will take SHA electives, free electives, and you may decide to study abroad, pursue a minor, fulfill a concentration, or take classes to explore your interests.
- Service Operations Management
- Restaurant Management
- Principles of Hospitality Real Estate
- Hospitality Facilities Management
- Managerial Communication II
- Business and Hospitality Law
In addition to the class listed below, you will have many options to explore your interests.