Electives, Concentrations & Minors
Through SHA electives and Free Electives, you will have the ability to specialize or gain knowledge in a complementary field of study. Where minors are open to all students across the Cornell University colleges/schools, concentrations are only available to SHA students. SHA electives can also be taken without pursing a concentration or a minor. In fact, approximately half of our Hotelies choose not to minor or pursue a concentration and instead select SHA electives to support their career interests.
- As an SHA student you can specialize in a particular area of hospitality through one of the school’s three concentrations, each with various tracks:
Finance, Accounting, and Real Estate (FARE)
- Tracks include: Corporate Finance/Financial Consulting, General Financial Management, Hospitality Controllership, Security Analyst/Investment Banking, Design, and Development
Hospitality Leadership Concentration (HOLD)
- Tracks include: Human Resources, Law, Managerial Leadership, and Entrepreneurship
Services Marketing and Operations Management (SMOM)
- Tracks include: Beverage Management, Corporate Food and Beverage Operations, Information Systems Management, Revenue Management, Services Marketing Management, and Specialty Operations
- Finance, Accounting, and Real Estate (FARE)
Undergraduate Minor in Real Estate
The School of Hotel Administration offers the minor in Real Estate. This minor prepares students for careers in the commercial real estate industry such as real estate investor, real estate finance, real estate consulting, structured finance, and real estate transaction support.
Cornell University Minors
Cornell University offers 70 minors across the schools and colleges, in a variety of fields and disciplines. Many of these minors are interdisciplinary. SHA students may consider a minor in a foreign language, computer science, theater, Nutritional and Health Sciences, and more. For more information, visit Undergraduate Minors under the Cornell University Fields of Study.