- Assistant Professor
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation
Cornell Peter and Stephanie Nolan School of Hotel Administration
Yuan Shi is an Assistant Professor of Management and Organizations with a focus on Strategy at the School of Hotel Administration at Cornell University’s SC Johnson College of Business. He received his Ph.D. in Strategic Management and Entrepreneurship from the Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland.
Professor Shi’s research explores the long-term implications of the evaluation processes in the market, such as ranking, funding, and pricing, for innovation and entrepreneurship. He has studied a wide range of sectors, including entertainment, technology, and venture capital.
Professor Shi’s research has been supported by the National Science Foundation and the Strategy Research Foundation. His work has been published by Administrative Science Quarterly, Strategic Management Journal, Research Policy, Scientometrics, and Sociological Science. His recent work has been cited by McKinsey Global Institute and popular press publications such as Harvard Business Review, Bloomberg, The Hill, and Vox.
- Shi, Yuan. "A Change of Tune: The Democratization of Market Mediation and Crossover Production in the U.S. Commercial Music Industry"Administrative Science Quarterly. (forthcoming).
- Sampson, Rachelle; Shi, Yuan. "Are US firms becoming more short-term oriented? Evidence of shifting firm time horizons from market discount rates, 1980-2013"Strategic Management Journal. (2020): 1-33
- Corredoira, Rafael; Goldfarb, Brent; Shi, Yuan. "Federal funding and the rate and direction of inventive activity"Research Policy. 47.9 (2018): 1777-1800
- Shi, Yuan; Sorenson, Olav; Waguespack, David. "Temporal issues in replication: The stability of centrality-based advantage"Sociological Science (Online Only). 4 (2017): 107-122
Awards and Honors
- Best Reviewer Award, TIM Division (2019) Academy of Management
- Runner-up, Best Student Paper Award, OMT Division (2018) Academy of Management
- SRF Dissertation Scholar (2017) Strategic Management Society
- Research Honors Award (2016) Dingman Center for Entrepreneurship, University of Maryland
- HADM 4432/HADM 6432 - Advanced Topics in Strategic Management
- HADM 4410 - Strategic Management
- PhD University of Maryland, College Park, 2019
- MS National University of Singapore, 2013
- BMS Fudan University, 2011