- Food and Beverage Management
- Hospitality and Services Design, Management and Operations
- Culture & Cuisine
- Operations Management
Lilly Jan is a lecturer of food and beverage at the School of Hotel Administration. She brings nearly 15 years of experience in hospitality and foodservice, having worked in restaurants, catering and events, retail, and television production. Prior to joining Cornell, she was the Director of Culinary Operations for Newbury College in Brookline, Massachusetts. Jan also served as a faculty member and academic advisor at Newbury College, creating and teaching a range of classes across culinary and hospitality management. She has also taught for Le Cordon Bleu and Boston University.
As a chef, product and recipe developer, and foodservice consultant, Jan has worked with a variety of food-based businesses, including a food truck, on-demand food delivery, food start-up, and retail food stores. She specializes in operations management, focusing on ushering food business concepts to market.
A frequent speaker and media contact on food culture, cooking and Chinese cuisine, Jan has been featured in print and radio outlets. She worked on TV production for America's Test Kitchen and was a regular contributor for WGBH's Boston Public Radio.
Jan is a two-time graduate of Boston University in Communications (B.Sc.) and Gastronomy (M.L.A.). She earned her Ph.D. from Iowa State University in hospitality management with a focus on food allergy knowledge and training in ethnic restaurants. Her research interests include workplace training and education in foodservice, career progression in foodservice, food safety and food allergy in restaurants, and culture and cuisine.
- "Food Allergy Knowledge, Attitudes, Practices, and Training Experiences of Employees in Chinese Restaurants" (in preparation).
- HADM 4380 - Culture and Cuisine
- HADM 4530 - Foodservice Facilities Design
- HADM 3350 - Restaurant Management
- PhD Iowa State University, 2018
- MLA Boston University, 2012
- BS Boston University, 2004