- Business of Food
- Innovation, Entrepreneurship & Technology
- Real Estate
- Asset Management
- Hotel and Restaurant Management
Jan A. deRoos is the HVS Professor of Hotel Finance and Real Estate at the Cornell SC Johnson College of Business. He has devoted his career to teaching and research related to hospitality real estate, with a focus on the valuation, financing, development, and control of lodging, timeshare, and restaurant assets.
DeRoos has developed two online executive education programs for real estate professionals; one with a broad real estate industry perspective and a second that focuses on lodging. He co-developed a free web-based tool, the Hotel Valuation Software, with Stephen Rushmore of HVS International. His book on hotel management agreements, co-authored with the late James Eyster, is the seminal academic publication on the topic.
Prior to joining Cornell, deRoos worked extensively in the hotel industry as a construction and engineering manager.
- Nelson, Robert; deRoos, Jan; Ukhov, Andrey. "The Impact of Publicly Owned Hotels on Competing Properties" Cornell Hospitality Quarterly. 57.4 (2016): 348-366
- deRoos, Jan. "Financial Analysis of Hotel Investments". eCornell. SHA 611 (forthcoming).
Awards and Honors
- Boyd Stofer/NAIOP Distinguished Fellow (2018) National Association of Industrial and Office Property (NAIOP)
- Faculty Teaching Recognition Award - Graduate Elective (2017) Cornell SC Johnson College of Business, School of Hotel Administration
- Most Downloaded document in the Scholarly Commons (2016) Scholarly Commons
- Best Paper Award (2013) International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management
- HADM 4970 - Latin Honors Course I
- HADM 3210 - Principles of Hospitality Real Estate
- HADM 4990 - Special Studies Project I
- Ph D Cornell University, School of Hotel Administration, 1994
- MS Cornell University, School of Hotel Administration, 1980
- BS Cornell University, School of Hotel Administration, 1978
In the news
January 01, 2016
Listing of Executive Education Courses