- Associate Professor
- Operations Management
- Applied Economics
- Business Analytics
- Decision Making
- Food and Beverage Management
- Food and Agricultural Economics
Elena Belavina is an Associate Professor at the SC Johnson College of Business. She collaborates with startups, established companies and public agencies to study issues of sustainable urban transportation, food waste, grocery retail and supply chains. Her recent research has studied how the grocery industry's structure and pricing policies influence food waste, the environmental impact of online grocery shopping and the design of bike-share systems. She has also studied sustainable sourcing, relational contracts and supply network design including the role of supply chain intermediaries. Methodologically, her research involves holistic analysis of logistic and economic systems, and econometric analysis of large datasets to advise on system improvements and policies.
Prior to joining Johnson, Elena was on the faculty of the Booth school at Chicago, earned a Ph.D. from INSEAD and bachelor and master degrees in applied mathematics and physics from the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology.
- Belavina, Elena. "Grocery Store Density and Food Waste"Manufacturing and Service Operations Management. 23.1 (2021)
- Belavina, Elena; Girotra, Karan; Kabra, Ashish. "Online Grocery Retail: Revenue Models and Environmental Impact"Management Science. 63.6 (2017): 1781-1799
- Belavina, Elena; Marinesi, Simone; Tsoukalas, Gerry. "Rethinking Crowdfunding Platform Design: Mechanisms to Deter Misconduct and Improve Efficiency"Management Science. 66.11 (2020)
- Kabra, Ashish; Belavina, Elena; Girotra, Karan. "Bike-Share Systems: Accessibility and Availability"Management Science. 66.9 (2020)
- Astashkina, E.; Belavina, Elena; Marinesi, S. "The Environmental Assessment of The Advent of Online Grocery Retailing" (in preparation).
- Kabra, Ashish; Belavina, Elena; Girotra, Karan. "Designing Promotions to Scale Marketplaces" (in preparation).
- He, Pu; Zheng, Fanyin; Belavina, Elena; Girotra, Karan. "Customer Preference and Station Network in the London Bike Share System"Management Science. 67.3 (2021): 1329-1992
- Belavina, Elena; Girotra, Karan. "The Relational Advantages of Intermediation"Management Science. 58.9 (2012): 1614-1631
Awards and Honors
- Finalist IBM Service Science Best Student Paper Competition for paper "Route Preference and Station Network in the London Bike Share System" (2018) INFORMS Service Science Section
- Business of Food Grants Program Recipient (2019)
- Best paper Award (3rd place) (2011) Junior Faculty Interest Group
- Runner-up, The George and Marrion Plossl Research Fellowship (2010) Association for Chain Management (APICS) Educational and Research Foundation
- Finalist IBM Service Science Best Student Paper Competition for paper "The Environmental Assessment of Online Grocery Shopping" (2018) INFORMS Service Science Section
- HADM 9320 - Foundations of Operations Management II: Operations Strategy and Supply Chain Management
- HADM 2010 - Hospitality Quantitative Analysis
- HADM 4015/HADM 6015 - Operations Analysis and New Business Models
- HADM 9980 - Operations of Digital Business Models and Marketplaces
- PhD INSEAD, 2012
- MS Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology, 2007
- BS Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology, 2007