Chekitan S. Dev
- Innovation, Entrepreneurship & Technology
- Business of Food
- Online Travel Agents (OTAs)
Chekitan S. Dev is a professor of marketing (tenured) and professor of management (by courtesy) at Cornell University's SC Johnson College of Business in the School of Hotel Administration. He is internationally recognized for his teaching and course development and has received multiple awards for teaching excellence from undergraduate students, graduate students, and Ernst & Young. In 2019 he received the Overall Winner (Best Case Study) Award from The Case Center at Cranfield University, UK.
Professor Dev is a globally renowned thought leader and the leading expert on hospitality marketing and branding. His award winning research has appeared in some of the highest quality peer-reviewed publications including the Journal of Marketing and Journal of Marketing Research, Harvard Business Review and Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, is the author of Hospitality Branding (Cornell University Press), and has been presented at the world’s top ranked business schools including Harvard, Wharton, Chicago, Oxford, ESSEC, Indian Business School and National University of Singapore. In 2018 he was a finalist for the 2017 Best Service Research Paper of the Year Award from the American Marketing Association.
Professor Dev has worked with corporate, government, education, advisory, legal, and private equity organizations in over 40 countries as a consultant, expert witness, keynote speaker, and workshop leader. These include Accor France, Bain Spain, Breeden Capital Partners, Crystal Cruise Lines, Deloitte Jordan, Disney, Dolce Canada, Expedia, ExpoGourmand Chile, Four Seasons New York, Four Seasons Mumbai, Fortress, Hilton, Holiday Inn, HOTUSA Spain, Horwath Austria, Hyatt, IBM, Jampro Jamaica, Jones Day, JP Morgan Chase, Jumeirah Dubai, Landor, Leading Hotels of the World, Marriott, McDonald’s, MGM Resorts, NHV Japan, Oberoi India, One&Only UK, Peninsula Hong Kong, Priceline, Ritz Paris, Ritz-Carlton Bali, Ritz-Carlton Destination Clubs, Rosewood, Sands China, Skadden Arps, Starwood, Taj India, Tishman, Westin, Whole Foods, Wyndham, YUM Brands, Zatisi Czech Republic, and others. In 2010 he was selected as one of the "Top 25 Most Extraordinary Minds in Hospitality, Travel and Tourism Sales and Marketing" by Hospitality Sales and Marketing Association International.
Professor Dev is a sought after commentator on hospitality and travel trends. He has been interviewed by the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Economist, TIME, Newsweek, USA Today, the Los Angeles Times, BusinessWeek, the International Herald Tribune, People, Indian Express, National Public Radio, and NBC Nightly News.
Professor Dev is a regular contributor to his university, profession and local communities. He has served on some of the most important governance committees at Cornell including the Faculty Senate, Faculty Advisory Committee on Tenure Appointments, and the Faculty Policy and Admissions Committees of the Hotel School where he led several search, tenure, promotion and reappointment committees and industry roundtables. For the academy and hospitality industry, he co-chaired CHRIE’s Strategic Planning Committee, serving on the American Hotel and Lodging Association Chairman’s Marketing Task Force, reviews for several refereed publications, and advises hospitality-related startups. His pro bono activities include conducting workshops for non-profit groups including Tompkins Tourism, Finger Lakes Tourism and Entrepreneurship Boot Camp for Veterans.
- Dev, Chekitan. "Hospitality Branding". Cornell University Press. (2012): 179 pages
- Tsai, Yi-Lin; Dev, Chekitan; Chintagunta, Pradeep. "What’s in a Brand Name? Assessing the Impact of Rebranding in the Hospitality Industry" Journal of Marketing Research. 52.6 (2015): 865-878
- Hamilton, Rebecca; Rust, Roland; Wedel, Michel; Dev, Chekitan. "Return on Service Amenities" Journal of Marketing Research. 54.1 (2017): 96-110
- Avery, Jill; Dev, Chekitan; Stroock, Laure. "The Marriott-Starwood Merger: Navigating Brand Portfolio Strategy and Brand Architecture" Harvard Business School Case 518-081. (2018)
- Dev, Chekitan. "Prune the Brand Portfolio?" Harvard Business Review. 96.2 (2018): 167-171
Awards and Honors
- Dean's Academic Excellence Award (2016) School of Hotel Administration, Cornell University
- CHR Industry Relevance Award (2016) Cornell University, School of Hotel Administration
- Highly Commended Paper Award (2015) IJCM Editors - Emerald Publishing
- Hospitality Research in Practice Award, Honorable Mention (2010) Cornell Center for Hospitality Research (CCHR)
- Cornell Hospitality Quarterly Best Article Award, Runner Up (2010) Cornell Center for Hospitality Research (CCHR)
- HADM 4480/HADM 6480 - Brand Management
- HADM 2430 - Marketing Management for Services
- PhD Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1988
- Master Ecole Superieure des Sciences Economiques et Commerciale (ESSEC), 1985
- Post-Graduate Diploma Oberoi School of Hotel Management, 1981
- BA University of Delhi, 1979
In the news
September 28, 2018
It’s Hip to Be Cheap as Hotels Democratize Design
August 15, 2018
In the Hospitality Game, New Players With Familiar Names