Chekitan S. Dev
- Innovation, Entrepreneurship & Technology
- Business of Food
- Online Travel Agents (OTAs)
Chekitan S. Dev is professor of marketing at Cornell University's School of Hotel Administration in the SC Johnson College of Business. He has received multiple awards for teaching excellence from undergraduate students, graduate students, and Ernst & Young.
A globally renowned thought leader with over 125 publications to his credit, Professor Dev is recognized as the leading expert on hospitality marketing and branding. He has published his work in some of the highest quality refereed journals, including the Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, Harvard Business Review, MIT Sloan Management Review, and Cornell Hospitality Quarterly and is the author of Hospitality Branding (Cornell University Press). His work has been presented at the world’s best business schools including Harvard, Wharton, Chicago, Oxford, ESSEC, Indian Business School and National University of Singapore. Recent research awards he has won include a 2016 Cornell Hotel School Dean’s Academic Excellence Award, a 2016 Industry Relevance Award from the Cornell Center for Hospitality Research, a 2015 Highly Commended Paper Award from Emerald, a 2014 Best Paper (runner-up) Award from INFORMS, and the 2002 John Wiley & Sons Award for lifetime contribution to hospitality and tourism research.
An active consultant, expert witness, keynote speaker, and workshop leader, Professor Dev has served corporate, government, education, advisory, legal, and private equity organizations in over 40 countries on six continents. These include Accor, Atlantis Paradise Island Bahamas, Bain, Breeden Capital Partners, Chandris Greece, Crystal Cruise Lines, Dolce Canada, Expedia, ExpoGourmand Chile, eHow Technologies China, Fairmont Middle East, Four Seasons Mumbai, Four Seaons Aviara San Diego, Greenberg Traurig, Posadas Mexico, Hilton, Holiday Inn, Horwath Austria, HOTUSA Spain, Hyatt, HSMAI, IHRAI, Imperial Delhi, Intercontinental, InterHotel Paraguay, International Culinary Center New York, Jampro Jamaica, Jones Day, JP Morgan Chase, Jumeirah Dubai, Landor, Latham and Watkins, The Leading Hotels of the World, Leela India, Lexus, LUX* Mauritius, Mandarin Singapore, Marriott, McDermott Will and Emery, McDonald’s, Moevenpick Switzerland, Morgan Lewis Bockius, MGM Resorts, NHV Japan, One&Only UK, Orbitz, Peninsula, PlanHotels Italy, Priceline, Raffles Middle East, Ritz Paris, Ritz-Carlton Bali, Rosewood, Rotana Abu Dhabi, Sarovar India, Skadden Arps, Starwood, Swissotel Middle East, Taj India, The Park Hotels India, Tishman, Travelocity, Vornado, Walt Disney World Resorts, Westin, Westmont Canada, Wyndham, YUM Malaysia, Zatisi Czech Republic, and many others.
A sought after commentator on hospitality and travel trends Professor Dev has been interviewed by the Economist, TIME, Newsweek, the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, the Washington Post, USA Today, the Los Angeles Times, BusinessWeek, the International Herald Tribune, People, Indian Express, National Public Radio, and NBC Nightly News.
Active in professional and community service, Professor Dev serves as reviewer for peer reviewed journals, advises hospitality startups as a board member, served the AHLA Chairman’s Marketing Task Force and Tompkins Tourism Marketing Committee, and regularly conducts pro ono workshops for non-profit groups including Ithaca Public Schools, Finger Lakes Tourism, and Entrepreneurship Boot Camp for Veterans.
- Dev, Chekitan. "Hospitality Branding". Cornell University Press. (2012): 179 pages
- Tsai, Yi-Lin; Dev, Chekitan; Chintagunta, Pradeep. "What’s in a Brand Name? Assessing the Impact of Rebranding in the Hospitality Industry" Journal of Marketing Research. 52.6 (2015): 865-878
- Hamilton, Rebecca; Rust, Roland; Wedel, Michel; Dev, Chekitan. "Return on Service Amenities" Journal of Marketing Research. 54.1 (2017): 96-110
Awards and Honors
- Dean's Academic Excellence Award (2016) School of Hotel Administration, Cornell University
- CHR Industry Relevance Award (2016) Cornell University, School of Hotel Administration
- Highly Commended Paper Award (2015) IJCM Editors - Emerald Publishing
- HADM 4480/HADM 6480 - Brand Management
- HADM 2410 - Marketing Principles
- Ph D Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1988
- Master Ecole Superieure des Sciences Economiques et Commerciale (ESSEC), 1985
- Post-Graduate Diploma Oberoi School of Hotel Management, 1981
- BA University of Delhi, 1979
In the news
March 05, 2017
What Are The Right Hotel Amenities?