- Assistant Professor
- Applied Economics
- Food and Beverage Management
- Food and Agricultural Economics
- Quality Disclosure and Labeling
- Food Safety
- Local Food Systems
Aaron Adalja is an assistant professor of food and beverage management at the School of Hotel Administration and an applied economics and policy area faculty member in the Cornell SC Johnson College of Business. He holds a PhD in agricultural and resource economics from the University of Maryland, College Park.
Adalja's research interests include a range of topics in food and agricultural economics, drawing on consumer theory, industrial organization, and marketing to examine empirical questions in food labeling and quality certification, food safety, and agricultural marketing. His current research includes studies on consumers' and firms' responses to voluntary non-GMO food labeling and on the economic impact of U.S. food safety regulation on produce growers.
Prior to graduate school, Adalja spent several years as a chef de partie for the Thomas Keller Restaurant Group at Per Se in New York City, an experience that catalyzed his interest in hospitality and food economics.
- Adalja, Aaron; Lichtenberg, Erik. "Produce Growers' Cost of Complying with the Food Safety Modernization Act" Food Policy. 74 (2018): 23-38
- Adalja, Aaron; Lichtenberg, Erik. "Implementation Challenges of the Food Safety Modernization Act: Evidence from a National Survey of Produce Growers" Food Control. 89 (2018): 62-71
- Marine, Sasha; Martin, David; Adalja, Aaron; Mathew, Sudeep; Everts, Kathryne. "Effect of market channel, farm scale, and years in production on mid-Atlantic vegetable producers' knowledge and implementation of Good Agricultural Practices." Food Control. 59 (2016): 128-138
- Adalja, Aaron; Hanson, James; Towe, Charles; Tselepidakis, Elina. "An Examination of Consumer Willingness to Pay for Local Products" Agricultural and Resource Economics Review. 44.3 (2015): 253-274
- Low, Sarah; Adalja, Aaron; Beaulieu, Elizabeth; Key, Nigel; Martinez, Stephen; Melton, Alex; Perez, Agnes; Ralston, Katherine; Stewart, Hayden; Suttles, Shellye; Vogel, Stephen; Jablonski, Becca. "Trends in U.S. Local and Regional Food Systems: A Report to Congress" Administrative Publication. U.S. Department of Agriculture. Economic Research Service. AP-068 (2015): 86pp
- HADM 3310/HADM 6310 - Case Studies in Restaurant Management and Sustainability
- HADM 6990 - Graduate Special Studies Project I
- HADM 1360 - Introduction to Foodservice Management
- PhD University of Maryland, College Park, 2017
- MS University of Maryland, College Park, 2015
- AOS The Culinary Institute of America, 2009
- BS Case Western Reserve University, Weatherhead School of Management, 2003
- BA Case Western Reserve University, 2003