- This event has passed.
CHR: Sustainability in the Hospitality Industry – Challenges and Opportunities
June 10 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm EDT
Sustainability has long been a key topic in the hospitality industry, with issues like elimination of food waste and single-use plastics, energy and water management, responsible tourism, and conservation important causes to be championed. Yet less-tangible issues like indirect emissions exist further down the value chain and can make a company’s overall impact on the environment and society much harder to quantify. Without knowing a company’s true impact, it’s a challenge to measure progress, but technology for managing impact has the potential to make a company’s sustainability measures as accessible and transparent as its financial records.
Join us for a virtual panel as we bring together academic and industry leaders from Cornell University, Deloitte, JLL, and Marriott to discuss the challenges and opportunities around sustainability in the hospitality industry.
What you’ll learn
- The current state of sustainability
- The challenges of measuring and reporting environmental impact and how technology is helping
- How hospitality companies are converting data insights into action
- Opportunities for companies along the supply chain to team up to influence positive change
- Ways that hospitality companies are making sustainability a core value
- The future of sustainability in hospitality
Aaron Adalja, assistant professor of food and beverage management, Cornell School of Hotel Administration
Geraldine Guichardo, global head of research, JLL
Denise Naguib, vice president, global operations, Marriott International, Inc.
Jake Shirmer, MBA ’12, senior manager and sustainability specialist, Deloitte Consulting