- This event has passed.
CHR/CIHLER/PIHE: Harmonic Hospitality: A symposium on the intersections among music, entrepreneurship, and hospitality
December 3, 2020 @ 4:30 pm - 7:30 pm EST
Center for Hospitality Research
Center for Innovative Hospitality Labor and Employment Relations
Pillsbury Institute for Hospitality Entrepreneurship
Creativity. Disruption. Engagement. These are among the topics that will be considered in this unique event that brings together a group of academics, artists, and industry professionals to examine some of the connections among music, entrepreneurship, and hospitality. Through a series of panel and roundtable discussions, as well as an interactive performance with our guest artists, we hope to promote a collaborative forum for knowledge exchange, networking, and sharing a passion for music.
Bernhard Wöstheinrich & Markus Reuter
Our guest artists, Bernhard Wöstheinrich and Markus Reuter, exemplify the themes of this symposium. Bernhard is a painter and multimedia artist, composer, and musician. His fortes include electronic and electro-acoustic music, and since 2011, he has co-organized “Gütersloher polyphony”, a forum for experimental, improvised and informal music. On the business side, Bernhard engages in a wide-array of innovative production efforts, and he is a distributor of “Touch Guitars®”.
Markus is multi-disciplinary musician, composer, record producer, and instrument designer. His work as a recording artist, solo performer and collaborator (including centrozoom, Stick Men, The Crimson ProjeKct, and Europa String Choir) reflects a broad array of genres, include contemporary classical music, progressive and art rock, industrial music, world jazz, and pure improvisation. On the business side, Markus has produced numerous records, is a designer of “Touch Guitars®”, and with his centrozoom partner, Bernhard Wöstheinrich, founded an artist-owned production consortium which encompasses Iapetus Media, Unsung Productions and Unsung Records.
Please click the link below to join the webinar on Thursday:
Please click the link below to join the webinar on Friday- This portion is restricted to Cornell University and Ithaca College email addresses:
Thursday, December 3rd (Invited guests and public)
4:30 – 5:15 p.m. Panel Discussion: Creativity and Inspiration
- Panelists: Bernhard Wöstheinrich, Markus Reuter, others TBD
- Moderators: Bruce Tracey and TBD
- What is the role of curiosity in the creative process?
- What are some of the most important skills for inspiration and creativity?
5:15 – 6:15 p.m. Interactive Performance
- Guest artists: Bernhard Wöstheinrich and Markus Reuter
6:15 – 7:30 p.m. Virtual Reception
Friday, Dec 4th (Invited guests only)
9 – 9:45 a.m. Topic 1: Disruption
- What are some of the ways to leverage disruption?
- How can one become disruptive?
10 – 10:45 a.m. Topic 2: The consumer experience
- What are some of the evolving strategies and technologies for elevating the consumer experience?
- What are the pros and cons of using machine learning in the music curation process?
11 – 11:45 a.m. Topic 3: Commercial opportunities
- What are some of the evolving commercial opportunities in the music business?
- What are the key contingencies for being successful in the music and entertainment industry?