External Transfer Applicants
Students who transfer to the Hotel School from other colleges, universities, or post-secondary programs represent more than one-third of each graduating class. They have an interest in service and hospitality, and frequently exhibit the same characteristics of our current student body: a love of learning and of life, an extensive commitment to professional excellence, and a creative and passionate way of viewing customer-client interactions.
Does this sound like you? Below, you will find all of the information you need to apply to transfer to the Hotel School. If you still have questions or would like to hear more about transferring to the Hotel School, join us for a virtual information session!
January 30, 2019 at 8:00 p.m. ET
- This information session will cover the hotel administration major and the requirements to transfer to the Hotel School.
February 26, 2019 at 8:00 p.m. ET
- This information session will cover how to apply to transfer to the Hotel School as well as go through the different parts of the Common Application and Universal College Application.
What we look for
Transfer students must fulfill most of the same admissions standards as a first-year applicant. We encourage you to look at the information on the First-Year Applicant page for what we look for in our students and this page for information specific to you as a transfer applicant.
- Admission Requirements
- Admission Recommendations
- Transfer Credit
- How to Apply
- Internal Transfers
Students who have earned 12 or more credits at another accredited college or university since graduating from high school are eligible to apply as transfer applicants. For more information about applying as a transfer applicant, please visit the Undergraduate Admissions Application Process Overview.
Rising sophomore and rising junior applicants (i.e., those who apply in their freshman or sophomore year) are eligible to transfer. Current juniors and seniors are not eligible for transfer to the Hotel School, but may want to consider our Masters of Management in Hospitality program.
- Strong academic record at the college level. In general, successful applicants have at least a 3.0 GPA with no grade lower than a C.
- Full-time standing each prior university semester, with few, if any, pass/fail or satisfactory/unsatisfactory-graded courses
- Good standing at current university
- Chemistry with a lab component taken in either high school or college
- Three years of a foreign language taken in either high school or college
- Math or quantitative courses, including a minimum of pre-calculus taken in either high school or college
- International students: TOEFL (score of 100 or better) or IELTS (score of 7) is required
To see what forms are required for your application, please see the How to Apply section of this page.
While we do not require any specific sequence university courses, most successful transfer applicants have a strong liberal arts background and have taken a broad range of introductory business courses. Courses in hospitality are not required, but a passion for this field of study is imperative. Your application will also be strengthened with hospitality or service related work experience.
A maximum of 60 credits may be transferred from other accredited colleges or universities toward your Cornell degree. Decisions about the transferability of credits will be made following admission to the Hotel School. Admitted transfer students will receive an official transfer-credit evaluation shortly after admission.
Please see the guidelines (PDF) on which credits may transfer to the Hotel School.
Cornell uses the Common Application or the Universal College Application. Please review the application instructions provided by the Undergraduate Admissions Office to determine which forms are right for you.
On either application, Hotel School transfer applicants should select "Cornell SC Johnson College of Business--Hotel School" as their program of interest.
In addition to the application materials, transfer students must also submit:
- All students: Official transcripts from your high school and all colleges attended
- U.S. Students: SAT or ACT scores if you have already taken them (You are not required to take the tests if you have not already done so.)
- International students: Official TOEFL or IELTS score
The deadline for fall transfer applications is March 15. The deadline for spring transfer applications is October 15.
If you are a current Cornell student considering a transfer to the Hotel School, please visit our Internal Transfer Information page for application instructions and requirements. Please see Frequently Asked Questions for Transfer Applicants for additional information.