- This event has passed.
PIHE: Hospitality & Family Business Roundtable: An Exploration of Intrapreneurship
September 16, 2022 @ 8:00 am - 12:30 pm EDT
Hosted by Cornell’s Pillsbury Institute for Hospitality Entrepreneurship (PIHE) and the Smith Family Business Initiative (SFBI).
We extend special thanks to all our participants for sharing their time and perspectives with the group. The robust combination of students, business owners across a diverse range of industries, leading academics, and practitioners provided a wealth of expertise, allowing for an incredibly rich exploration of our program theme: Intrapreneurship.
Intrapreneurship refers to the practice of embracing innovation to create new practices, profit areas, technology, or lines of business within an existing enterprise. This type of approach is applicable and actionable for any business seeking to achieve and sustain success, regardless of industry or organizational structure. “Intrapreneurship allows all businesses to create and maintain an entrepreneurial culture within their existing enterprise. This in turn ignites the engine of innovation in support of diversification strategies, expansion plans, and entering new markets” (Herve, 2017). Join the Smith Family Business Initiative as we partner with the Leland C. and Mary M. Pillsbury Institute for Hospitality Entrepreneurship to explore the numerous ways in which the practice of intrapreneurship can be leveraged for success and optimization in both the family business and hospitality.
The format included three sessions, each focused on different topics, with the SFBI and PHIE directors moderating. Session openers kicked off each topic with brief open-ended remarks—intended to spark conversation, not defend a position or pitch solutions—before opening the discussion up to all participants. Participation was via personal invitation only and capped at 25-30 attendees.
Session topics include:
– Innovation from Within: Leveraging Existing Resources in Pursuit of Strategic Growth
– Embracing Change: Buy-in Obtainment and Operationalization
– Lessons Learned: New Venture Parallels
- Linda Canina, Georges C. and Marian St. Laurent Professor in Applied Business Management, Academic Co-Director of the Pillsbury Institute for Hospitality Entrepreneurship (PIHE), Academic Director of the Center for Hospitality Research (CHR)
- David Sherwyn ’86, JD ’89, John and Melissa Ceriale Professor of Hospitality Human Resources, Academic Director of the Cornell Center for Innovative Hospitality Labor and Employment Relations, Stephen H. Weiss Presidential Fellow
- Daniel Van Der Vliet, John and Dyan Smith Executive Director of the Smith Family Business Initiative
- Roshy Chhillar MRE ’23, MPS Candidate, SC Johnson College of Business
- Matthew Federici ’20, President & COO, Frankie Feds Ltd.
- Joanne Florino MA ’75, Fellow, The Philanthropy Roundtable
- Robert Gregor ’00, JD ’07, Owner, Gregor Hotels
- Joey Jurgielewicz MMH ’16, Duck Farmer, Director of Business Development, Joe Jurgielewicz & Son Ltd.
- Michael Jurgielewicz ’13, Duck Farmer, Director of Global Sales, Joe Jurgielewicz & Son Ltd.
- Chelsey Kingsley, CEO & Co-founder, Kingsley Quality Woodworking
- Nathan Ladovsky MMH ’18, COO, United Bakers Dairy Restaurant
- Vinh Le ’23, MS Candidate, SC Johnson College of Business
- Rodrigo Ley MBA ’23, MBA Candidate, SC Johnson College of Business
- Matt Marx, Bruce F. Failing Sr. Professor of Personal Enterprise, Dyson School of Applied Economic & Management, Cornell SC Johnson College of Business
- David Rosenberg, CEO and Founder, Sawyer Realty Partners / Meads Bay Hotel Group
- Jessica Rosenberg ’13, Principle and Founder, Sawyer Realty Partners / Meads Bay Hotel Group
- Juan Schotel MBA ’24, Business Leader, EOS
- Yuan Shi, Assistant Professor, Cornell Nolan School of Hotel Administration, Cornell University
- Amrit Singh ’13, Co-Founder, Indian Milk & Honey
- Crystal Shu MPS ’23, MPS Candidate, SC Johnson College of Business
- Sophia Tryfonopoulou MMH ’23, Student, Nolan School of Hotel Administration
- Ibrahim Zia MMH ’23, Student, Nolan School of Hotel Administration
– QUESTIONS –
Please email Michelle Ciaschi, PIHE Program Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.