CIHLER Regional Roundtable
Regional Roundtables are designed to provide a forum to expand the reach of the Institute and the discussion of relevant and timely topics.
Roundtable Program Discussion topics:
Hospitality employers are in the midst of a monumental sea change with respect to labor relations and wage and hour issues, in particular. This roundtable will focus on three of the most pressing issues affecting operators.
1. Union Organizing
• Persuader Rule and its impact on both the attorney-client relationship and union avoidance strategies
• Quickie Election Rules: whether they have made a difference in organizing efforts
• What is the effect of the drive for $15, and no-tipping rules on organizing
2. Wage & Hour Issues
• Independent contractors and the hospitality industry
• FLSA changes to the overtime exemptions
• Nuts and bolts of no-tipping
3. Joint Employer
• How is it changing the hospitality workplace?
• Can franchising exist in the joint employer world?
• Can franchisors maintain brand standards while their franchisees engage in “meaningful collective bargaining without the franchisor?”
• Are employer’s curtailing their use of labor suppliers and/or embracing the fact that they are joint employers of employees who work “in the belly of the company?”
David Sherwyn, ILR ’86, JD ’89, John & Melissa Ceriale Professor of Hospitality Human Resources, Academic Director of CIHLER and Stephen H. Weiss Presidential Fellow, Cornell University School of Hotel Administration
Josh Babbitt, ENG ’96, General Counsel, Sydell Group
Dale Bernstein ’76, Founder and Principal, UnCommon Human Resources
Joanne Budge, Senior Director of Human Resources, Four Seasons Hotel New York
Dan Costello, Regional Director of Human Resources, Americas, Hilton Worldwide
Michael D’Angelo, Vice President of Labor Relations Regional Operations, Americas, Hyatt
Scott Delmar, Specialist Master, Deloitte Consulting LLP
Annie Dremstedt, Vice President of Human Resources, Interstate Hotels & Resorts
Victoria Fabio, Corporate Director of People and Development, Sydell Group
Niki Franzitta, Regional Director of Labor Relations, Northeast Region, Hyatt
Gregg Gilman, ILR ’85, Partner and Co-Chair of Labor and Employment, David & Gilbert LLP
Grace Ha, Summer Associate, Davis & Gilbert
Alex Kurland ’10, General Manager, Porter House Bar and Grill
Robert Lafferty, Regional Vice President of Human Resources and Labor Counsel, Highgate Hotels
Armand Pasquini, Regional Director of Human Resources, East Region, Loews Hotels & Resorts
Rodney Pope, Vice President and Senior Human Resource Director, Turner Construction Company
Carmie Posner, Summer Associate, Davis & Gilbert
Adam Rand, President, AGR Hospitality, Inc.
Carolyn Richmond, ILR ’91, Partner, Fox Rothschild LLP
David Rothfeld, Partner, Kane Kessler, P.C.
Paul Salvatore, ILR ’81, JD ’84, Partner, Proskauer
Daniel Schor, Regional Director of Human Resources and Deputy Labor Counsel, Highgate Hotels
Melissa Sims, Director of Human Resources, Four Seasons Hotel New York Downtown
Fox Rothschild LLP, 101 Park Avenue, Suite 1700, New York, NY 10178
Event Related File:
David Sherwyn '86, JD '89
By Invitation Only