Commanderie de Bordeaux Education Prize
The Julius Wile Commanderie de Bordeaux aux Etats Unis d'Amerique Bordeaux Education Prize includes a two-week, arranged trip of the Bordeaux wine areas and some travel expense money. Those on the fall 2016 trip will visit many of the top Chateaux in Bordeaux and meet with the winemakers and owners.
Application Eligibility and Criteria
This is primarily an undergraduate award. Application for this award is limited to seniors in the School of Hotel Administration whose career interests lie in the operation of full-menu, table-service restaurants. MMH candidates who meet the criteria may also apply.
The Commanderie stipulates that recipients must be committed and be able to practice their profession within the hospitality industry in the United States. In addition they must have demonstrated an interest in fine wines and restaurant management.
The winner of this award will be required to submit a written report to the Commanderie de Bordeaux detailing what he or she experienced on the trip.
To be eligible for consideration, students must meet the following criteria:
- Completion of the food and beverage core curriculum, and several of the following food and beverage elective courses, by the conclusion of the current academic year:
- HADM 4301: Restaurant Entrepreneurship
- HADM 4300: Introduction to Wines
- HADM 4310: Wine and Food Pairing Principles and Promotion
- HADM 4360: Beverage Management
Note: Students who do not meet this first criterion—but whose prior academic or work experience provides a commensurate level of exposure to wines and beverage management—are still eligible to apply.
- Demonstrated record of "hands-on," line-level production experience in foodservice operations
- Good academic standing and demonstrated outstanding talent, commitment, and enthusiasm
Note: Although not a requirement, some familiarity with and the ability to communicate in French is highly desirable.
To apply for the Commanderie de Bordeaux Award, students must submit through OrgSync (no later than noon, March 23, 2016):
- Letter (limited to two pages) to the selection committee (who wish to remain anonymous) explaining your interest in the award and describing how the award will contribute to your anticipated career in food and beverage management in the United States (uploaded to application in PDF format only).
- Resume including the names and phone numbers of a minimum of two employment references (uploaded to application in PDF format only).
- Official Cornell transcript. You may order these through the University Registrar's Office. (Uploaded to application in PDF format only, or sent electronically directly to Kathy Mix).
For questions, please contact Kathy Mix in the Office of Student Services, 180 Statler Hall.