What is your brand? And why does it matter?
When we hear “brand,” we might think “logo.” “Emblem.” “Insignia.” Basically whatever you see on a company’s products, marketing materials, buildings, uniforms, etc. that command recognition and familiarity.
Certainly the visual component plays a huge role in brand recognition, but “brand” is a far more multifaceted and intangible entity. It’s not just a pretty image, a witty tagline, or a catchy jingle, although all of those are expressions of a brand’s identity. But just as you wouldn’t simply cite a best friend’s favorite color and tastes in music to describe his or her personality, “brand” goes far deeper.
Brand is a deliberate product of a strategic vision — a vision of what you stand for, and the value you offer. Professionals and organizations that succeed do so in part because they commit the time, effort, and resources necessary to understand themselves and their intended audiences, a potentially daunting challenge. Where do you begin?
“Brand is a critical signal of a professional’s expertise and talents. Creating a strategy for making one’s professional imprint, and reflecting this strategy in a brand pitch, is part of SHA’s world-class curriculum,” said Walsh, associate professor of management & organizational behavior. “By leveraging eCornell’s distributed learning platform, we’re able to bring these key distinctions to a wider audience.”
Nancy Weislogel, executive director of online learning and collaborative programs, continued. “The virtual classroom makes our faculty’s renowned expertise accessible to busy professionals who wish to take advantage of the flexibility and cost-effectiveness that online learning affords when pursuing professional development.”
In this course, you will learn to:
- Define the term “professional brand” as it relates to you and your career
- Articulate the reasons why your professional brand is important
- Identify what makes work meaningful to you
- Prepare your own compelling brand story
- Evaluate your brand story
The course includes:
- A straightforward, four-part process for creating a compelling brand story
- A course activity: create your brand story and share feedback with peers
- Three observational-learning activities to enhance your understanding of what a compelling brand story looks like
- An evaluation form to download and share with reviewers
Enroll for free in Career Planning: Craft Your Professional Brand, and take your professional identity to the next level.