The new normal
Same game, new rules
Although hospitality industry fundamentals are stronger than ever, unprecedented change is coming. This year's conference will touch on several issues that are giving rise to this powerful phenomenon:
- Millennials are exerting their influence and redefining industry norms.
- Hospitality companies are forming or transforming to answer the call of the evolving consumer, who is approaching travel in a whole new way.
- Ultraluxury hotels are growing as this new dimension in fine service gains traction.
- Social media has great influence over consumer decisions, and businesses need to leverage this tool in their favor.
- Cyber crime is rampant, and the industry must protect itself from this "face-less" danger.
- With the emergence of new third-party intermediaries that help hotels find customers, the industry is searching for new ways to analyze distribution that will positively impact the bottom line.
- While the U.S. lodging industry is experiencing tremendous RevPAR growth and all-time high occupancy rates, investors around the world face challenges that are changing the investment landscape for hotel real estate.
- With millennials dominating the workforce, organizational diversity looks increasingly different from years past.
- Establishments adopting a few revolutionizing trends in the food and beverage industry are rising to the top and leaving others struggling at the bottom.
HEC 91 Board of Directors
Taylor Meadows '16
Jazmin Black '18
Director of diversity and inclusion
Jenna Cantor '16
Director of learning and development
Rebekah Catalana '16
Madeleine Fessenden '16
Gabriella Forss '16
Human resources director
Dajana Gjoza '16
Jake A. Hauss '16
Director of food and beverage
Warner Hazell '17
Mara Jaffe '17
Will Kinney '16
Justin Meselsohn '16
Director of marketing
Emily Moore '16
Benjamin Pilosof '16
Patrick (PJ) Schepis '16
Director of finance and donor relations
Gundeep Singh '17
Director of technology
Starbucks Reserve Coffee Tasting
Hosted by Starbucks Coffee Company
Presenters: Anthony Viccari, MMH '09, business development manager - branded solutions (Jacksonville & North Florida), Starbucks; Mark Uhlemann, business development manager - fine dining, Starbucks; Jenessa Broderick, business development manager (Eastern Pennsylvania and Central New York), Starbucks; Joseph Doheny, regional operations specialist, Starbucks
The Dean's Address
Speaker: Michael D. Johnson, the Bradley H. Stone Dean and E. M. Statler Professor, School of Hotel Administration
Cornell College of Business: An Update and Q&A with the Provost
Speaker: Michael Kotlikoff, provost, Cornell University
Keeping Up with the New Consumer
Moderator: Kelly McGuire, MMH '01, PhD '07, vice president of advanced analytics, Wyndham Destination Networks
Speakers: Wrede Petersmeyer, NYC city manager, Airbnb; Francis Davidson, CEO and co-founder, Flatbook; Kit Pappas, executive vice president and COO, Capella Hotel Group; Hari Nair, MMH '02, vice president and general manager of Orbitz and CheapTickets, Expedia; Kevin Jacobs '94, executive vice president and CFO, Hilton Worldwide
The Evolution of Diversity
Speakers: Lucida Plummer, vice president of diversity and inclusion, Wyndham Worldwide; Victor Younger,
director of diversity and inclusion, School of Hotel Administration
Demystifying the Digital Marketplace
Speaker: Cindy Estis Green '79, CEO and co-founder, Kalibri Labs
the new normal. of Luxury
Speaker: Horst Schulze, chairman and CEO, Capella Hotel Group and former president and COO, the Ritz-Carlton Group
Growth in the Face of Volatility: Preparing for Disruption in Hotel Real Estate
Moderator: Arthur Adler '78, managing director and CEO-Americas, JLL Hotels and Hospitality Group
Speakers: Stephen G. Haggerty '90, executive vice president and global head of real estate and capital strategy, Hyatt Hotels Corporation; Tracey Gamble '99, principal, Apollo Global Management; Michael Goodson,
head of global hospitality, Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
The Hospitality #DATA Explosion
Speaker: Marty Weintraub, founder and evangelist, aimClear Marketing Agency
Bringing the Guest's Social Experience to the Big Screen (...or to the Small One)
Speakers: Tim Sae Koo, CEO, TINT; Quinn Cox '15, business development executive, TINT
Trends in Food & Beverage: 2016 Edition
Moderator: Damian Mogavero, CEO and founder, Avero
Speakers: Drew Nieporent '77, owner, Myriad Restaurant Group; Jeannette Ho (via videoconference),
vice president of revenue management and customer analytics, Fairmont Raffles Hotels International; Jeff Zalaznick '05, managing partner, Major Food Group; Abby Murtagh '92, resident manager, Waldorf Astoria New York
Cybersecurity and Beyond: How to Take on the Virtual Enemy
Moderator: Jules Sieburgh '72, principal, Jules A. Sieburgh LLC
Speakers: Dave Hogan, vice president of merchant solutions, Heartland Payment Systems; Alexander Stout, associate, Latham & Watkins LLP; Amitava "Chats" Chatterjee, MMH '00, director of travel, hospitality and leisure, Deloitte Digital
#BayClubHappy: Developing a Formal Internship Program
Speaker: Victor Woo, executive vice president, the Bay Club Company
A 360° Look at the Hospitality Data Universe: A Hands-On Session
Presenter: Marty Weintraub, founder and evangelist, aimClear Marketing Agency