Being able to negotiate is a practical, everyday skill that is critical for anyone working within an organization. The good news is it’s a skill you can practice and master. Negotiation skills are ones you can use in any context and, once you master the behaviors of effective negotiation, you will use all the time. In this course, developed by Professor Samuel Bacharach, Ph.D. of Cornell University’s Johnson Graduate School of Management, you will develop an awareness that every conversation is a negotiation, and you will identify the critical components of effective negotiation.
Who should take this course?
This course is intended for current and aspiring managers and senior managers; professionals with over three years of experience who are working at or aspiring toward leadership roles; anyone who needs to negotiate as part of daily business or daily life. This course does not assume that the students are in a formal leadership position or management role today.
Participants who complete this course will be able to...
- Identify strategies for preparing for a negotiation
- Explore critical decisions such as when to negotiate, when not to negotiate, whether you should make the opening move in a negotiation, and how many issues you want to put on the table
- Categorize and prioritize the issues to be negotiated
- Define the negotiation interaction at the tactical and emotional level
Module 1 - Elements of Negotiation
- When Do Your Negotiate?
- Negotiation Style
- Consider Cultural Differences
Module 2 - Preparing for the Negotiation
- Categorizing the Issues
- Finding the Zone of Possible Agreement
- Negotiating at Work
- Negotiating Styles
Module 3 - Defining the Negotiation Interaction
- Negotiations at the Tactical Level
- Bargaining Power
- Using Emotion Effectively
- Distinguishing among Negotiation Situations
- Samuel B. Bacharach, Ph.D., McKelvey-Grant Professor, Director, Institute for Workplace Studies , School of Industrial and Labor Relations at Cornell University
Course Cost US$769
Hours to Complete Course: 6
CEUS earned 0.6
This course is part of one or more online certificates:
- Certificate in Change Leadership
- Certificate in Executive Leadership
- Certificate in High-Performance Leadership
Please choose from the following course start dates: