Becoming a Powerful Leader
In this course you will define and differentiate between leadership and management, develop a strategy for overcoming new leadership challenges, and evaluate motivational techniques and determine when to use them. You will also identify the skills needed to develop relationships crucial to your career development as a leader, based on the research and expertise of Professor Kate Walsh, Ph.D. of Cornell University’s School of Hotel Administration.
Using tools provided in this course, you will explore what motivates others, assess leadership styles, and examine communication with your leadership team. With the completion of an action plan at the end of the course, you will be ready to apply what you learn to your own organization.
Who should take this course?
This course is intended for professionals with under three years of leadership experience, working at or aspiring toward leadership roles. Learners may come from every continent and industry and from a diverse range of organizations, including for profits large and small, NGOs, and governmental agencies.
Participants who complete this course will be able to...
- Define and differentiate between leadership and management
- Develop a strategy for overcoming new leadership challenges
- Evaluate motivational techniques and determine when to use them
- Identify the skills and relationships you need to develop that are crucial to your career development as a leader
Module 1- Distinguishing Between Leading and Managing
- Leading versus Managing
- Recognizing Cultural Differences
- Best Practices in Leading Effectively
Module 2 - Overcoming Challenges
- Identifying Assumptions and Recognizing Cognitive Limitations
- Managing and Recognizing the Challenges Facing Your Boss
Module 3 - Motivating People
- Intrinsic versus Extrinsic Motivation
- Job Enrichment versus Job Enlargement
Module 4 - Evaluating Your Leadership
- Assessing Your Leadership Style
- Applying Emotional Intelligence
- Becoming an Authentic Leader
- Kate Walsh, Ph.D., Dean and E. M. Statler Professor , School of Hotel Administration, Cornell SC Johnson College of Business
Course Cost US$769
Hours to Complete Course: 6
CEUS earned 0.6
This course is part of one or more online certificates:
Please choose from the following course start dates: