Master Certificate in Hospitality Management
The hospitality business includes more moving parts than most people realize, and has more customer touchpoints than any other industry. Teamwork is essential.
A Master Certificate in Hospitality Management provides you with the essential skills needed to ensure that your organization runs like a well-oiled machine. You will quickly develop the technical expertise and broad, strategic focus needed to become a top-level hospitality manager.
This master certificate consists of 18 two-week courses, including 14 core and 4 elective courses. The core of the program focuses on team building, team performance, revenue management, marketing and foodservice. You can then choose from 12 elective courses in Foodservice Management, Restaurant Revenue Management, Hotel Revenue Management, or Hospitality Marketing for a more thorough examination of each.
Whether you aspire to management, have recently been promoted, or are currently in a management position, this certificate program positions you to make a bigger impact in your organization and your career. You can complete all of the courses in this program and earn your certificate in as little as 9 months, spending about three to five hours per week.
The courses in this certificate will equip you to…
- Define and differentiate between leadership and management
- Create a plan for overcoming new leadership challenges and forming a high-functioning team
- Identify the proper online sources of financial information for research purposes
- Understand the structure of the three principal financial statements
- Analyze your firm’s marketing approach and make strategic decisions on how to optimize your team’s efforts
- Design and execute your own pricing strategy for a particular product or service
- Develop the fundamentals and practical skills involved in planning, opening, and managing an operation
- Assess a restaurant’s revenue capability and how to maximize its profitability
- Adopt a strategy that is focused on revenue per available room (RevPAR)
- Build booking curves; account for “pick-up”; segment demand by market, group, and channel; and calculate error and account for its impact.
This certificate has 18 online courses requiring ~112 hours to complete.
This certificate is earned upon completion of 14 required core courses and four elective courses. Outcomes will vary depending on the elective courses selected.
- Becoming a Powerful Leader
- Building Guest Loyalty
- Building High Performance Teams
- Evaluating Business and Customer Factors Affecting Marketing Decisions for Services
- Forecasting and Availability Controls in Hotel Revenue Management
- Introduction to Hotel Operations
- Introduction to Hotel Revenue Management
- Introduction to Restaurant Revenue Management
- Managing Revenue with Service Cycle Changes
- Marketing the Hospitality Brand Through Digital Media
- Services Marketing Planning and Management
- Understanding Financial Statements
- Using Ratio Analysis to Evaluate Financial Performance
- Utilizing Income Statements and Operational Data
- Building a Resilient Services Marketing Information System
- Developing a Service Strategy and Managing the Brand
- Developing an Integrated Marketing Communications Strategy for Services
- Implementing Brand Strategy Through Digital Media
- Managing Revenue with Pricing
- Managing Revenue with Table Mix
- Managing Service Demand through Pricing and Distribution Strategies
- Managing your Food and Beverage Supply Chain
- Non-Traditional Applications of Hotel Revenue Management
- Optimizing Your Food and Beverage Menu
- Overbooking Practices in Hotel Revenue Management
- Pricing Strategy and Distribution Channels in Hotel Revenue Management
Who Should Take This Certificate Series?
This certificate series is designed for hospitality professionals within hotels and corporate offices seeking a comprehensive understanding of the many facets of hospitality including finance, leadership, marketing, and revenue management. It is also ideal for upper-level professionals moving into executive level positions who wish to refine their skills in specific hospitality areas.
Participants who successfully complete all 18 courses in this certificate series will receive a Master Certificate in Hospitality Management from Cornell University's School of Hotel Administration.
Participants will also receive .6 Professional Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for each course that is successfully completed.