2013 Student and Faculty Awards
Students and faculty were honored for outstanding achievements in the 2012-13 academic year.
The Ted Teng ’79 Dean’s Teaching Excellence Award, which is given to faculty in recognition of their dedication to delivering the highest quality in education to students, went to Cathy Enz, Lewis G. Schaeneman, Jr. Professor of Innovation & Dynamic Management, Strategy; Pam Moulton, assistant professor, finance; Andrey Ukhov, assistant professor, finance; and Maria Wolfe, lecturer, management communication.
The Faculty Recognition Awards, sponsored by the Ye Hosts Honorary Society, recognize faculty for their teaching excellence. The winners this year are Ben Lawrence, assistant professor, food & beverage management (freshman core); Pam Moulton, assistant professor, finance (sophomore core); Amy Newman, senior lecturer, management communication (junior/senior core); Andrey Ukhov, assistant professor, finance (undergraduate elective); Tony Simons, associate professor, management & organizational behavior (graduate elective); and Qing Ma, assistant professor, finance (MMH core).
The Industry Relevance Award recognizes faculty who have researched an important topic and produced a Center for Hospitality Research report or tool that had significant impact on the hospitality industry during its first 12 months of release. Relevance awards were given to Chris Anderson, associate professor, services operations management, for "The Impact of Social Media on Lodging Performance" and to Peng Liu, assistant professor, real estate, for "Optimizing Hotel Pricing: A New Approach to Hotel Reservations."
The Fairmont Hotels & Resorts MMH Award went to Marisa Galbut MMH '13.
The School of Hotel Administration degree marshals are Carlo Savasta '13 and Matt Rubin '13. The banner bearers are Monica Choi '13 and Lana Miller '13. The college symbol bearer is Nicholas Asoli '13.
The Joseph Drown Special Prize, awarded to a graduating senior who has demonstrated academic excellence, extracurricular leadership, entrepreneurial spirit, social responsibility and well-conceived career goals and aspirations, went to Ruben Ortega '13. Finalists were Timothy Chen '13, Lana Miller '13, Katie Satinsky '13, and Lucy Zheng '13.
The School of Hotel Administration’s Merrill Presidential Scholars are Matt Rubin '13 and Lana Miller '13.
Matthew Tong '13 received the Julius Wile Commanderie de Bordeaux aux États Unis d’Amérique Bordeaux Education Prize.
The Banfi Scholastic Tour, which went to Sara Kim MMH '14, is awarded to students at premier hospitality and culinary arts programs nationwide who have demonstrated exceptional interest in fine wines.
Kelly Armstrong '13 and Miles McMullin '13 won the the R.C. Kopf Student Achievement Award, presented to students who have demonstrated exceptional interest in fine wines and restaurant management and who are committed to practicing that profession in the United States.
The Center for Hospitality Research Emerging Scholar Awards went to Katie Satinsky '13 for "Effect of competitive brand’s crisis communication on the consumers response to a particular incident," Timothy Chen '13 for "Sustainability practices in the convention industry," and Enlin Zhou MMH '13 for "Serve to serve: how entrepreneurial organizations leverage hospitality based approach to address social challenges."
Winners of the Cornell Hospitality Business Plan Competition, sponsored by the Pillsbury Institute for Hospitality Entrepreneurship were:
- First Place: Martin Andonov '13 for his concept, Agora Hellenic Grill
- Second Place: Tareq Ali '13, Ethan Joseph '13, Michael Perlman '13 for their concept, Voila Mobile Creperie
- Third Place: Spencer Stein '14 for his concept, Solace
- Stein Family Prize for Disability and Environmental Sustainability Solutions: Robert Frisch MBA '13 and Tara Lobo '15 for their concept, Carin Tented Resorts
The Hotel Asset Managers Association Award went to Stephan Dixon '13 and Michael Tormey '13 for "ObamaCare: A Challenge to the Lodging Industry" and to Kaitlin Stenson '13 and Gabriella Orillac '13 for "The New Trend in Hospitality e-Commerce."
ACEF/SHA Writing Awards 2011-2012:
- Freshman: Sue-Jean Sung '16, “Goldman Sachs Company Research Report” (nominated by Amy Newman, HADM 1650)
- Sophomore: Julie Steck '15, “Case #3: Proposed Space Allocation Program for a New Hotel in Ithaca” (nominated by Stephani Robson, HADM 2250)
- Junior: Analise Palomo '14, “Piracy Off the East Coast of Africa Threatens the Cruising Industry” (nominated by Daphne Jameson, HADM 3650)
- Senior: Rachel Lee '13, “The UPS Stores: Service Innovation Through a More Efficient Web Database” (nominated by Maria Wolfe, HADM 3650)
HEC 88 Unsung Hero Awards went to Chloe Arthur '15, Alex Casey '15, Francesca Filipini '15, Michael Hassman '15, Kevin Hernandez '16, Stephanie Lee '14, Evan de Luna '16, Meaghan Moran '14, Rico Screpka '14, and Sam Sheldon '13.
- Student Committee for Continuous Improvement – Most Ethical club
- Hotelie Entrepreneurs – Most Events per month
- SHA Ambassadors – Most Friendly club
- Female Leadership in Hospitality – Most Inspiring club
- Club Managers Association of America – Most likely to be found golfing
- Hospitality Finance Society – Most likely to have a balanced budget
- Ye Hosts Honorary Society – Most likely to have the highest club GPA
- Hotelies Serving Society – Most Philanthropic club
- CUSpa – Most Relaxing club
- Sustainable Hospitality – Most Sustainable club
- Cornell Hospitality Consulting – Outstanding Service to SHA
- Cornell Hospitality Research Analytics – Outstanding Service to SHA
- Cornell Real Estate Club – Outstanding Service to SHA
- Epicurean Society – Outstanding Service to SHA
- Hospitality Financial and Technology Professionals – Outstanding Service to SHA
- Hospitality Sales and Marketing Association International – Outstanding Service to SHA
- Hospitality Students International – Outstanding Service to SHA
- National Society of Minorities in Hospitality – Outstanding Service to SHA
- Beverage Club – Outstanding Service
There's one type of establishment where it's unlikely your order will be taken by a device: fine dining restaurants.Read more »
CIHLER Director David Sherwyn offers tips to employers based on the 7th circuit decision on mandatory arbitration policies.Read more »
By creating unforgettable experiences that turn consumers into brand devotees, George P. Johnson CEO Chris Meyer '87 is reinventing marketing.Read more »
Every year, Professors David Sherwyn and Richard Hurd select a group of students from their co-taught Labor Relations in the Hospitality Industry class (HADM 4810/ILRLR 4060) to attend the HR in Hospitality Conference and Expo, now in its tenth year...Read more »
Statler Hotel's Taverna Banfi donates to earthquake relief effortRead more »
Statler Hotel promotes Chef Thomas Gisler to director of food & beverageRead more »