May 8, 2020
NOTE: This will be the last edition of Statler News until August 28, 2020.
GUEST SPEAKER (VIA ZOOM)
Organizational Management, Communication, and Law
May 11, 2020
HADM 4800/6800 (Klausner) Law for Entrepreneurs
HADM 4870/6870 (Klausner) Real Estate Law
SHA MEETINGS & EVENTS
HADM 7610 (Odom-Reed) Management Communication
Nine teams in HADM 7610 will present and participate in a simulated company’s Board of Directors meeting via Zoom that involves three industry executives including one alumna.
Special thanks to Victor Younger, Director of Diversity and Inclusion, for his support in recommending a diverse slate of executives.
This project challenges the teams to analyze a recent ethical business case in the hospitality industry, contributing to experiential learning. Team projects focus on different industry segments including Food & Beverage (Ruth’s Hospitality Group, Chipotle Mexican Grill, McDonald’s, and Starbucks), Hotel Operations (Marriott International and Oyo Homes and Hotels), Travel and Tourism (Carnival Corporation), and Gaming (NagaCorp’s Cambodian Casino).
All board meeting presentations will be held via Zoom during the 10:10 a.m. and 11:40 a.m. classes. Please let Diane Mickelson (firstname.lastname@example.org) know if you are interested in attending any of the board meetings.
- Abigail Charpentier ’95, Vice President, People & Culture, Americas, Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts, (May 4 and May 11, 10:10 a.m. Class)
- Prem Devadas, President, Salamander Hotels & Resorts (Wednesday, May 6, 10:10 a.m. and 11:40 a.m. Classes)
- Andrew (Andy) Ingraham, Chief Executive Officer and Founder, National Association of Black Hotel Owners, Operators, and Developers (NABHOOD), (Monday, May 4, 11:40 a.m. Class)
CENTERS & INSTITUTES – WEEKLY WEB EVENTS
TUESDAY, MAY 12, 10:00 A.M.
MANAGING RESTAURANTS IN THE TIME OF CORONAVIRUS – A LOOK AT EMERGING BEST PRACTICES FEATURING:
- Christopher Gaulke, Lecturer, SHA
- Lindsay Brous, Owner, Collegetown Bagels
- Michael Cortelletti, Owner & Guardian Angel, Food Democracy
- Michelle Ho, CEO & Developmental Licensee, Golden Burger Group
THURSDAY, MAY 14, 10:00 A.M.
HOTEL TRANSACTIONS POST-COVID FEATURING:
- Crocker Liu, Professor, SHA
- Art Adler, President, Adler Hotel Advisors, LLC
- Nolan Hecht, Senior Managing Director, Square Mile Capital Management
- Seth Singerman, President & Managing Principal, Singerman Real Estate
- Lanhee Yung, Managing Director & Global Head of Fundraising Investor Relations, Starwood Capital Group
Save the date!
Registration for the following events will be available soon.
Click here to check if registration has opened. All times EDT.
- May 20, 10:00 a.m. The Market Pulse from a Lender’s Perspective
- June 3, 10:00 a.m. How to Pivot a Hospitality Career During a Pandemic
- May 27, 10:00 a.m. Asset Impairment
- June 10, 10:00 a.m. CEOs’ Views from the Top
Missed a live event?
Access recordings here.
OFFICE OF STUDENT SERVICES
DIVERSITY AND ENGAGEMENT UPDATES
May is Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. This week we are highlighting Christine Ha. Christine Huyen Tran Ha is an American chef, writer, TV host and the 2012 winner of Master Chef. Please click here for an overview of her Master Chef story.
SERVE IN PLACE FUND
During this global pandemic, we protect each other by staying home and social distancing. At the same time, we’re compelled to do more to support our neighbors, community partners and fellow humans — in our home communities and around the world. We are compelled to Serve in Place. Learn more by clicking on the following link: https://engaged.cornell.edu/grant/serve-in-place-fund/.
This fund supports students who are spending summer 2020 participating in any type of community-based research activities or community-engaged learning projects that:
- Address a specific need, problem, or public concern;
- Include working with and learning from a community partner;
- Are connected (and well-integrated) with course content and disciplinary perspectives;
- For co-curricular (non-credit bearing activities): Are well-integrated with educational content that the engagement work is addressing; and
- Include structured, documented critical reflection.
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER:
- Last day of classes for spring 2020 is May 12th.
- Final Exams are May 16th through May 23rd.
- May 12th at 11:59pm is the deadline to lock in your grade choice for graded courses.
- May 12th is also the last day to drop a class. Please speak with an OSS advisor prior to doing so as it may impact your graduation date and completion of requirements.
- May 22nd: Deadline to update name/address for diploma on Student Center
- Mid to late June, pre-enrollment for undergraduate students. Your Student Center will be updated once specific dates have been determined and assigned.
To make an individual appointment with an advising team member (phone or zoom) please click here. You may also email us: