Lecture Series Brings Top Executives to Cornell School of Hotel Administration
Contact: Ashlee McGandy, 607.254.1368, email@example.com
Twelve of the hospitality industry’s top executives and rising stars will be featured speakers in the Dean’s Distinguished Lecture Series (DDLS) at the Cornell School of Hotel Administration (SHA) this semester. A perennial highlight of the SHA academic program, the DDLS invites leaders from every segment of the hospitality industry to speak about their career paths, views on successful management styles and business strategies, and insights on critical industry-related issues.
“For nearly 50 years, the DDLS has given SHA students an unparalleled opportunity to learn from the best in the hospitality business," says Michael Johnson, dean and E. M. Statler Professor of Hotel Administration, who will give the first lecture of the series on August 26. “Not only do our distinguished speakers give their outlook on the state of the industry, but they also tell students about their professional journeys—how they went from being college freshmen to being leaders and innovators in major hospitality companies. Students get the greatest impact from those personal stories.”
The weekly lectures are held at 1:25 p.m. in the Alice Statler Auditorium at the School of Hotel Administration. Lectures are free and open to the public, and open seating is available in the balcony of the auditorium.
DDLS 2011 Schedule:
- August 26 - Michael D. Johnson, Dean and E. M. Statler Professor of Hotel Administration, Cornell School of Hotel Administration
- September 2 - Antony F. Spring ’87, President & Chief Operating Officer, Bloomingdales
- September 9 - Eric A. Danziger, President and Chief Executive Officer, Wyndham Hotel Group, Wyndham Worldwide
- September 16 - Christopher J. Nassetta, President and Chief Executive Officer, Hilton Worldwide
- September 23 - J.W. “Bill” Marriott Jr., Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Marriott International
- September 30 - Mark Tamis ’88, Senior Vice President Guest Operations, Carnival Cruise Lines
- October 14 - Bonita Coleman Stewart, Vice President U.S. Sales, Google, Inc.
- October 21 - Leland C. Pillsbury’69, Co-Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Thayer Lodging Group, Inc.
- October 28 - Clement K. M. Kwok, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, The Hong Kong and Shanghai Hotels, Limited
- November 4 - Jay H. Shah ’90, Chief Executive Officer, Hersha Hospitality Trust
- November 11 - Randall J. Garutti ’97, Chief Operating Officer, Shake Shack, Union Square Hospitality Group
- November 18 - Elizabeth Randall, Managing Director, STR Global LTD
- December 2 - Philippe Bourguignon, CEO, Exclusive Resorts; CEO – Miraval; Vice Chairman, Revolution Places