Susan S. Fleming, PhD is a senior lecturer at the Cornell School of Hotel Administration. She is an educator, researcher, businesswoman, and mother with deep experience and expertise in the areas of finance, insurance, business strategy, organizational behavior, and issues of gender diversity.
Fleming began her career on Wall Street, where over a period of twelve years she held various positions in the investment community, including that of analyst at Morgan Stanley & Co.; vice president of Insurance Partners, L.P., a $540 million private equity fund; and partner at Capital Z Financial Services Partners, a $1.85B private equity fund.
After retiring from Wall Street in 2003, Fleming began work as an educator, teaching executives, investment professionals, MBAs, and undergraduates in the areas of corporate finance, insurance, valuation, and gender bias. She also enrolled at Cornell University’s Johnson Graduate School of Management to pursue a PhD in management, where her research focused on better understanding the factors contributing to a dearth of women in leadership positions in U.S. society.
In addition to her work as an educator, researcher, and business consultant, Fleming helped to found a startup company in Ithaca, NY; has previously served on the board of directors of four publicly traded insurance and reinsurance companies, two private companies, and three non-profit organizations; and currently serves on the boards of Virtus Investment Partners, Inc., a publicly traded asset management firm, and Endurance Specialty Holdings, Ltd., a publicly traded global insurance and reinsurance holding company.
Fleming has been published in the Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, Psychology of Women Quarterly, and Cornell Hospitality Reports. She holds a BA in economics and Asian studies (highest distinction) from the University of Virginia, and an MS and PhD in management from Cornell University.
- HADM 4130 - Entrepreneurial Management
- HADM 6130 - Entrepreneurial Management
- HADM 6155 - Women in Leadership
- HADM 4155 - Women in Leadership
- HADM 4211 - Entrepreneurial Finance
- HADM 4965 - Business Plan Competition
- HADM 6211 - Entrepreneurial Finance
- HADM 6965 - Business Plan Competition
- HADM 6990 - Graduate Independent Research
- Ph D, Johnson Graduate School of Management, Cornell University
- MS, Johnson Graduate School of Management, Cornell University
- BA, University of Virginia