Michael D. Barnello '87
Michael D. Barnello '87
President and CEO
LaSalle Hotel Properties
Michael D. Barnello '87 is president and chief executive officer of LaSalle Hotel Properties (NYSE: LHO) and has been with the company since its IPO in 1998.
LaSalle Hotel Properties is a leading multi-operator real estate investment trust. The company owns 42 properties, which are upscale, full-service hotels, totaling approximately 10,700 guest rooms in eleven markets in seven states and the District of Columbia.
The company focuses on owning, redeveloping, and repositioning upscale, full-service hotels located in urban, resort, and convention markets. LaSalle Hotel Properties seeks to grow through strategic relationships with premier lodging groups, including Hilton Hotels Corporation, Marriott International, Outrigger Lodging Services, Noble House Hotels and Resorts, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Benchmark Hospitality, Two Roads Hospitality, Davidson Hotel Company, Kimpton Hotel and Restaurant Group, Accor, HEI Hotels and Resorts, JRK Hotel Group, Viceroy Hotel Group, Highgate Hotels, Provenance Hotels, and Access Hotels and Resorts.
Prior to 1998, as senior vice president of Jones Lang LaSalle (formerly LaSalle Partners), Barnello was instrumental in creating the LaSalle Hotel Properties initial public offering.
Before joining LaSalle in 1995, Barnello was vice president of VMS Realty Partners. He received a BS in hotel administration from Cornell University.
Barnello resides in Bethesda, Maryland, with his wife, Susie, and three children, Matthew, Olivia and Sophia.
Current and Prior Board Involvement
- Board of Governors: 2011-present
- Executive Committee: 2016-present
- Former chair of Audit Committee
- AHLA Board of Directors: 2016-present
- Home Properties (NYSE: HME): director, 2013-2015 (company was sold to Lone Star, end of 2015)
- Cornell University-Related Involvement
- Center for Real Estate Finance (CREF): board member, 2011-present
- School of Hotel Administration Dean's Advisory Board: member, 2014-present
- Non-profit boards
- Prior Board Member at local schools including Harbor School, Green Acres School, and St. Andrew's Episcopal School
- Currently serving on Finance Committee at St. Andrews
- Young Presidents' Organization - Baltimore Washington Chapter: member, 2006-2015
- Former Speaker/Presenter at ALIS, NYU, The Lodging Conference, CNN, among others